Sunday, April 30, 2017

"13 Reasons Why"

I wanted to talk about our mental health again because of a book/turned Netflix series that is turning heads and is still keeping us talking. If you do get triggered/flashbacks/etc, from reading and/or seeing certain words or topics, then I urge you, DO NOT READ THIS POST. I am posting this to touch briefly on a sensitive topic but I do not want anyone getting hurt.

‘13 Reasons Why’ is the show I want to talk about a bit because of how controversial it is. I still think I shouldn’t be talking about this series quite yet because I have finished the Netflix series and I am still reading the book so everything I say will not be 100 percent accurate. I apologize in advance for this but I am actually loving the book so much that I didn’t want to wait another week to talk a little about it.

From the get go, I am going to say that this story is only one perspective when it comes to mental health issues and suicide. I thought, watching the show up to episode three, that the main girl, Hannah, was being a drama queen in some ways and I will admit that. That is how I felt in the beginning of the show and if that was the intention of the producers then kudos to them. If not, then they have to step their game up with it comes to portraying certain sensitive stories better.

The gist of the story for those who might not be familiar with it is about the main girl Hannah Baker who unfortunately ends up taking her life and she explains why through a series of cassette tapes. The Netflix series is different than the book, of course, and I’m guessing because some of the creators might have felt the book is a book dated since it was published ten years in 2007. Also the book is plot and scenery heavy, not so much character heavy like the series. I thought the dialogue in the book gave it its own charm but some people want to stay relevant instead of being original and quirky, solely my opinion.

The series is causing a lot of stir because how Hannah takes her life is different than in the book and in the series, you do see Hannah take her life in full motion. There are other reasons but this is just to name a couple. This is where I deeply disagree along with many medical and psychological professionals; they disagree highly and deeply. 

Netflix subscriptions are paying about nine dollars now and that is very affordable considering all the shows and movies you can see throughout the month. That is why people rave about Netflix so much. Now, when a show like that is popular with a certain age group, the show is going to be held under a magnifying glass because a bunch of educated adults are not the only ones watching this show, most likely a bunch of misinformed teenagers are watching this show along with a bunch of young children.

Personally, I think children should not be watching that section of Netflix. Netflix for kids is the only thing your kids should be watching. As for the teens, they are old enough to watch almost whatever they want but sometimes they do not ask questions about certain topics for many reasons including lack of comfort.

This is a show that I think a  mentally sound teen could watch and have a parent or guardian present or nearby in case they are confused about something or just someone to hug because this show does get emotional at times. I feel for Hannah’s parents whole-heartedly. 

I am also aware that some parents/guardians just do not know about the mental health of their kids for whatever the reason may be, no judgment.

I stress that those who do have mental health issues do not watch the series alone, do not. If you kept reading my post knowing that you are at risk or could be at risk, I strongly urge you to speak to someone you trust as soon as possible. I am going to stress that there is someone who watches out for you and will be there for you even if sometimes you may not be so mindful of it because of what you are going through or have been going through.

This link is to a list of phone numbers that you or anyone else can call if you feel like there is no one you can’t talk to because you feel like they will not understand or whatever your reason is, call. Please be mindful that every number for every area is different so Google hotlines that are for your area. If you live in the NYC area, there are numbers you can call.

I understand completely now why so many people had an issue with the show and still do. I was one of those people where I would get furious at some point of the episode and I did have my biases going into the show but I did my best to see everything through until the end and now I am almost done with the book. My mentor even mentioned to me that The New York Times wrote a few articles about the book, of course, and some were better than others.

I was able to get a deeper look into the book by learning why the author decided to write a book and it was because he had a family member took their own life and it spoke to me a bit because I too had a family member who took her life. I wasn't so affected by it emotional because I just met this family member, at the time, about a year ago but I was so disheartened that she felt that no one could help her. My parents and I, everyone, felt terrible.

Those who are in need, I urge to call one of those hotlines. They are "in the moment help" I can say. It is not long-term help, it is short-term help. If you need long-term help, speak to someone you know can help you get long-term help, I strongly urge it.

A lot of the characters in the book felt that is Hannah spoke with someone or at least had someone who could have supported her that she’d still be alive. I want to agree but there are people who have supporting friends, a good family life and a good paying job and sadly still take their life. I agree that if they treated Hannah like a person, things may have turned out differently but would she have decided not to take her life? I can't answer that for the character Hannah represents.

I can agree that it is a selfish act in the sense where it is all about the person; it was all about Hannah and no one else including her parents. I did not finish the book but from what I know so far, Hannah’s parents did not get any form of closure as to why she decided to take her life meanwhile all her classmates are listening to why Hannah took her life because that was her own decision. I'm talking about the book here, not the show and I do not want to put any spoilers.

It’s beyond difficult emotionally, mentally, spiritually, and physically. Sometimes, we don’t know what is going on in a person’s life. All we can do is try to be our best selves when we leave our homes and try to be mindful of others around us. We're all human and we will make mistakes.

Wrapping up, I recommend the book because it is a good read and I think it can open up some people to at least start thinking about the topics being presented in the book and hopefully talk about it in a way to spread awareness and to have an open-minded discussion about how to help others and to not make or pass certain judgments. As for the Netflix series, it is just another drama show, to me, staring high school kids. As I mentioned, the show focuses a lot on character development and the extras they include because it feels like they want to try to get a second season for the show but that is my opinion. If you really want to watch this show, I say double check because I believe some guidelines need to be followed before watching this show.

That is where I will end, everything I say here is merely a suggestion and I hope no one takes any of this to heart. No matter what I suggest, you can make the final decision in what you think is best for you. Please follow me on TWITTER @midnighthuee and tell me what you thought of the book or the series.

Smile, wonderful. Try doing one good deed a day and until next time, Take Care <3

No comments:

Post a Comment