Friday, February 5, 2016

Giving Advice. Let's not.

Life will give you opportunities to give you advice. Don't always take those opportunities.

I know there are plenty of people who do not know the difference between giving advice and giving your perspective on a situation. While some people give their opinions on a situation, other may misinterpreted it as giving advice when that was not the person’s intention. All they want to do is share their perspective to open up the conversation to a higher sense of being that plain advice cannot create.

I say this because it is true. Think about it whole-heartedly for a moment as you’re reading this post. Imagine yourself, right now, speaking with a friend who has a problem. Let’s say that Susan saw someone steal something out of her bag and she did not get a chance to stop them. She is clearly mad, pissed off, frustrated, irritated, and probably feeling violated, and etc. If you were to give her advice, you’d be telling Susan what to do in her life.

“Go to the person who stole your stuff and tell them to give it back or just take it back, it’s you possession.”

When giving your perspective on a situation, it sounds, looks, and feels completely different compared to just giving Susan advice and telling her what you think she should do.

“Oh my gosh...when did that happened? Are you alright? Did anyone else see who took your stuff?...I remember the last time something of mine was taken from me. I felt deeply violated and unsafe. I know I held my bag that much tighter for about two weeks because of being paranoid. I ended up never confronting the person because I don’t do too well with confrontations.”

There’s a big difference between sharing with a person and giving advice. When you share your opinions on a situation, your personal experiences, perspectives, and what comes to your mind, you are opening yourself up to so much more outcomes to occur between you and that person. A friendship that was never there could even blossom.

I am writing about this today because a friend of mine is going through a tough situation and she wanted my advice. I did not give it to her. I spoke from experience. I ended up doing what others have done for me in a tough situation which was to take my mind off it and speak about something I was passionate about. That was exactly what I did and it helped my friend a lot. She went home feeling much better which is the goal when you are sad; to progressively feel better.

I felt it was important to make a post about not giving advice because it is always better to open up a bit and share your thoughts and opinions with someone you feel you can trust; you will feel so much better on your end afterwards. Even if you do not know or trust the person, it still does not hurt to speak from the heart because you never know how helpful you may turn out to be for that person. You are broadening that person’s horizons into thinking in a certain way they probably did not think of before making their way to you.

I’ll end things here, guys! Sorry this post was late. I thought I had already typed something up for Thursday but I was wrong. This week for me has been so rocky and all over the place but I am happy to have this blog to have some time to take a break from things and recollect myself.

Those who found their way to my blog, thank you so much for taking the time out to read it. I highly and deeply appreciate it! Please leave comments below to give me ideas on what to write about and/or something you’d like to read about to get a second opinion.



Until next time. Take care <3

No comments:

Post a Comment